In 1935, Joseph "Joe" William Yates and his partner, Mr. Burns, opened Burns and Yates Funeral Home in Fort Pierce. However, within a few months Mr. Burns moved to Miami. The original funeral home was located at 524 North Fourth Street across from Padrick Chevrolet. At this time, Yates Funeral Home was also an ambulance service. Our original phone number was HOWARD 789.
In 1943, Joe Yates bought Fee Mortuary and their unfinished building on US#1. By 1944, Joe, his wife Hattie, and daughter Sally, welcomed baby Bill into the new funeral home.
In the early 1950's, Joe converted an old house in Okeechobee, Florida to a funeral home. In 1965, Joe began construction on a new funeral home. Sadly, Joe died before he could see the funeral home completed. The Okeechobee Funeral Home was sold in the early 1970's. The funeral home is now the Okeechobee Presbyterian Church.
After Joe passed in January of 1965, Bill commuted from Fort Pierce to Miami to get his degree. Bill completed Mortuary Science at Miami Dade in 1967.
In 1978, Bill Yates opened Yates Funeral Home in Port Saint Lucie.
Yates Funeral Home joined Order of the Golden Rule, an International Funeral Organization, in 1962 and is still a member.